I was surfing the net to look for something that I can make for my 2nd day of blogging marathon under the theme of chocolate. During my search for chocolate recipes, I came across coconut macaroons. The sight of golden brown goodies and the ease with which they could be made attracted my attention. Without a moment’s delay, I decided that these are going to be my next post for the blogging marathon. I went into the kitchen straight away and started looking for the ingredients required. 3 cans of condensed milk were lying in my pantry that needed to be utilized before their expiry. I had dessicated coconut too. So there wasn’t any excuse of not making them. I mixed up the ingredients and baked them in the form of small flat cookies. The aroma filled my whole house and my daughter came running to find out what was being baked. When I told her that I was making coconut cookies, she wasn’t too pleased as my kids are not big fans of coconut. Anyway, she waited for the cookies to come out of the oven. I had a difficult time in controlling her for the cookies to get cooled to a comfortable temperature. My father-in-law liked them instantly though my daughter was complaining that they were too “coconutty”. Even I felt the same, may be due to the use of dessicated coconut.
Next time, I made macaroons using freshly grated coconut. This time I got a lot of praise, even from my kids and husband, who doesn’t like coconut.
To make macaroons more appealing to my kids, I introduced chocolate into the cookies in the form of Choco chips and a base coat of milk chocolate also. It was so hilarious to see them fighting for the cookies.
Here I’m going to share the same recipe with you. Try it out and gather all praise dished out to you….
Chocolate Macaroon Ingredients
|Coconut||100 grams, shredded|
|Condensed milk||2 tablespoons|
|All purpose flour||2 tablespoons|
|Baking powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Vanilla essence||1/2 teaspoon|
|Choco chips||1 tablespoon (optional)|
|Milk chocolate||100 grams (optional)|
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- Sift all purpose flour, baking soda and a pinch of salt.
- In a large bowl, combine condensed milk, butter, flour mixture, sugar and shredded coconut. Mix everything well.
- Stir in choco chips.
- Line a baking tray with greased butter paper. I didn’t grease my baking tray well so had difficulty in removing baked macaroons. So take care that tray or butter paper should be greased well even if it’s a non stick tray.
- Drop the mixture using a spoon onto the greased tray.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or they turn golden brown from the edges. Take out of the oven and let them cool on the tray otherwise they will break. They are very soft initially, but on cooling get hardened.
- In the meanwhile, break chocolate into pieces or grate it.
- Melt chocolate on a double boiler or in a microwave for 30 sec. Stir it till glossy or smooth. If required, microwave for another 15 sec.
- Dip the flat surface of macaroon in chocolate and place on the butter paper. Repeat with rest of the macaroons. When surface gets solidified, drizzle chocolate sauce on the top of macaroons.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.