This week in Cooking Carnival I had selected khoya as my ingredient and thought of making sweets with it. As Diwali is around the corner so this was the best opportunity to make sweets for the festive season. After making 4 sweets, I wanted to make Gulab Jamun. But my kids started showing the signs of rebellion. You know kids these days…they are pizza burger kids. The kids these days don’t like traditional food and want to have something continentals or fusion food. Taking their taste in mind, I thought of making mawa cake which my kids love to have any time and it fits into my theme as well. I made cake as well as cup cakes. Cake was topped with blanched almonds.I had put all the blanched almonds on cake, so used unblanched almonds for cupcakes. When I was taking out the cake, my daughter came running and bumped into me accidentally and my cake got disfigured ?.
Mawa cake as the name indicates, has mawa/khoya/evaporated milk in it that along with cardamom powder makes it a unique delicacy. The freshly baked aromatic mawa cakes are so delicious that one bite of them is all that you need to get hooked to them.
Ingredients For Mawa Cake
|Maida ||1 ½ cup|
|Corn flour||2 tablespoons|
|Baking powder||1 teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1 teaspoon|
|Almond powder||2 tablespoons|
|Milk powder||¼ cup
|Cardamom powder||½ teaspoon|
|Butter ||½ cup|
|Sugar||1 cup, powdered|
|Milk ||¼ cup|
|Almonds||20, blanched & sliced.|
- Blanch and slice almonds. Keep them aside.
- In a bowl, sift maida, baking powder, baking soda, corn flour, milk powder and cardamom powder.
- In another bowl, cream together butter and sugar using a hand blender until smooth and fluffy.
- Add curd, milk and mawa and best again till mixture becomes smooth and even.
- Fold in sifted flour into batches. Add almond powder as well. Do not overbeat the mixture. The batter will be thicker than we normally make for cakes.
- Pour the batter in greased baking pan. Tap the pan to remove any entrapped air.
- Generously spread sliced almonds all over the cake surface.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180C for 35-40 minutes. If making muffins, bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Check the doneness of cake with toothpick.
- Allow to cool and gently unmold the cake.
- Slice the cake and enjoy every bite of the heavenly mawa cake.