Soups are the best way to get nutrition as you get to eat more veggies packed with nutrients. Apart from providing nutrition, they also protect you from infections and give a feeling of fullness. There are a number of soups like tomato soup, man-chow soup, sweet corn soup etc. The list is enormous. Out of all the different types of soups, the one that you can give a try is, french onion soup. It not only provides you with the benefits of onion but the benefits of soup as well.
Onions are thought to be responsible for French paradox i.e. low occurrence of heart disease among the French. That is the reason onions are very popular in French cuisine.
The sulfur compounds in onions, for instance, are thought to have anti-clotting properties, as well as, improve blood lipid profiles. The allium and allyl disulphide in onions have also been found to decrease blood vessel stiffness by enhancing nitric oxide release.This may reduce blood pressure, inhibit platelet clot formation, and help decrease the risk of coronary artery disease and stroke.
Onions are beneficial for bones, digestive tract, diabetes prevention, and so much more. In short, we can say that they offer whole body benefits.
Wrapping up the benefits of onions with the recipe of yummy French onion soup.. here you go. ..
French Onion Soup
Ingredient of French Onion Soup
|Onion||2, medium , thinly sliced|
|Unsalted butter||1 tablespoon|
|Vegetable oil||1 teaspoon|
|Dijon mustard||½ teaspoon|
|Garlic||2-3 cloves, minced|
|Pepper||½ teaspoon, freshly ground|
|Vegetable broth or water||2 cups|
- Heat butter and oil in heavy, large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and sugar, and cook about 5 minutes, stirring often . Reduce heat to very low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 15- 20 minutes, until onions are brown. Sugar helps in better caramelization of onions.
- Blend in broth/water and 2 tablespoons cheese. Once it starts boiling add cornflour paste. Add salt, thyme, pepper and mustard. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar..
- Toast the bread slices, butter lightly and sprinkle a little cheese on top.
- Pour the soup into individual soup bowls, put 1 toast piece in each bowl and sprinkle the balance cheese on top of the toast pieces.
- Put below the grill until the cheese starts sizzling.
- Serve hot.