The mighty sun haunts us so much during the summer that as soon as it changes its course and the winter bells ring, we start loving it. Most of us eagerly look forward for the winter season as many of the activities which we are unable to do during summers, can be done in winters.
Unfortunately, this weather also becomes dreadful because of the ailments associated with it such as coughs, cold, fever, dry skin etc. Generally, everybody is affected by these at least once during the season. But many elders successfully sail through the season with a little more than an occasional sniffle. What is the secret behind this?? The secret is that they take full care of their health.
We can also make winter a fun filled period by following certain health care tips like drinking sufficient quantity of water to keep the skin hydrated and lustrous,doing regular exercise, eating healthy food etc. One of the food items that can help us to beat the winter blues and navigate through this weather is the world’s healthiest spices, i.e. ginger.
In India, it is very commonly used in curries and gravies, ginger-lemon tea and during winter, in ginger-tulsi chai to get relief from cold. Let me introduce you to the health benefits of ginger other than cold relief.
- Ginger in weight loss: It has a thermogenic effect that helps to activate metabolism, making it a potent fat and calorie burner.
- From dull damaged hair to long lustrous hair: Its stimulative and antiseptic properties help to fight off hair woes. Just massage 1 tablespoon of ginger juice mixed with 1 tablespoon of olive oil on your scalp to get long lustrous hair.
- Settles stomach discomfort: It is a natural carminitive i.e. helps to remove extra gas from stomach. It also helps to stimulate the production of gastric juices and saliva, this alleviating the problem of indigestion.
- Relieves arthritis: During winter season, arthritis patients have a difficult time as the joint pain enhances due to inflammation. Ginger, being anti inflammatory, helps to lessen the joint pain. Just add a few drops of ginger oil in water during bath.
- Reduces coughs n cold and even treats asthma: It has natural anti-histamine properties and helps to ward off congestion and sinus problem.
- Immunity: Packed with antioxidants, it helps to strengthen the immune system, thus helping to fight off cold n flu and even fever.
- Menstrual cramps: A study in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine found that ginger was as effective as ibuprofen for relieving menstrual cramps.
Punjabis sure know how to utilize these truck load of benefits in ginger as it is used in almost everything – as a condiment in curries, as a flavor enhancer in tea and as an accompaniment to meals in the form of pickles. Yes, ginger pickle is one of the most favored and easy-to-make pickle and can be had all year around.
recipe of instant ginger pickle
Prep Time: 10 min Chilling Time: 30 min
Wash and dry ginger, chilies and lemons.
Peel and cut it into julienne.
Add salt and keep it aside for 5 minutes. Ginger will release water and get softened a bit. In the meanwhile cut green chilies into diagonal slices and add to the ginger julienne.
Squeeze lemon juice and give a good stir. Let it sit for some time. After few minutes a nice pink color will develop.
It can be consumed immediately or after chilling for about an hour.
Store in a glass jar and keep refrigerated. As it has a short shelf life, so make in small batches only.