Bitter gourd, also known as bitter melon or karela, is so bitter, that most of the people run away from it. Although the taste of bitter gourd is bitter, yet it is not bitter for life. In fact, it has numerous health benefits.
- It is rich in phytonutrients like vitamins, minerals, dietary fibers, and anti-oxidants.
- It has a plant insulin- polypeptide P and hypoglycemic agent- charantin. Both of these help to control blood sugar. That is the reason bitter gourd juice is considered very beneficial for diabetic patients.
- Bitter gourd juice also cleanses the gut by removing worms and harmful germs.
- It is a rich source of vitamin C that helps to boost our immunity.
- It not only helps to make you healthy, but also makes you look beautiful. Anti-oxidants present in it help to clean the blood from within, purify the blood system and give a naturally glowing skin free of acne and other skin disorders.
Because of so many benefits, it is rightly said “A sweet word cuts the heart immediately, while a bitter gourd cures the disease effectively.” So now onwards don’t run away from the bitterness of bitter gourd, but remember the sweetness it brings to your life :).
Step Wise Pictorial Description of Kachri Karela
Wash well with water to remove excess salt.
Slice onions and slit green chillies.
Take oil in a wok and heat it to smoking point.
Reduce heat to medium. Squeeze water out of bitter gourd pieces and fry a batch in oil till these become crispy and brownish.
Similarly fry all the pieces and drain out excess oil.
Take 1 tablespoon of the same oil in a pan or wok.
Add onion slices to it and fry till they turn translucent.
Add green chilies and sauté fora minute.
Add fried pieces of bitter gourd.
Add ½ teaspoon of salt, turmeric powder and red chili powder.
Mix and saute for 2-3 minutes so that spices are absorbed well.
Switch off the flame and add amchur powder. Mix well.
Serve with any dal and chappatis or alone with plain parantha.