Lauki or ghiya is a highly nutritious vegetable and has a cooling and calming effect on stomach. But sadly, many a people, especially the kids, run away from it without realising its benefits. But when the same lauki is used to make a raita and served without mentioning the ingredients, i bet that no one can say no to it. In fact, will demand for more. I’m not exaggerating. I’m the living example ?. Just like all the other kids, even I never liked ghiya or lauki and now it is one of my favorite summer vegetable. To make me eat this nourishing veggie, my mom used to make lauki raita every alternate day and I liked it very much. Keeping up with the tradition, I’m doing the same with my kids.
Lauki Raita Ingredients
|Lauki||1 cup, grated
|Curd ||250 grams|
|Roasted cumin powder ||½ tsp|
|Pepper powder||¼ tsp
|Salt ||to taste|
|Green chili||1, chopped finely
|Coriander ||1 tablespoon, chopped|
- Wash peel and grate lauki.
- Boil it in 1 cup of water and a pinch of salt till tender.
- Strain the boiled lauki and squeeze out extra water. You can use that water in fall or curries.
- Beat the curd well with a whisker.
- Add boiled lauki, chopped coriander and chopped chili.
- Stir in salt, cumin powder and pepper powder.
- Serve chilled.