Rasedar Aloo tamatar is a very easy and quick recipe that you can make any time. It goes well with puris. So it is my family’s favorite Sunday brunch. Even if you have unanticipated visitors, you can make it jhatpat and please the appetite of your guest. In normal days, I add onion also, but during navaratras it is made without onion. Aloo tamatar tastes as good as with onion; the only difference is the thickness of the gravy. For that I crush potatoes to thicken the gravy.
Here is my rasedar aloo tamatar….
Rasedar Aloo Tamatar Ingredients
|Ginger||1 teaspoon, chopped|
|Green chili||1,chopped finely|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Kasuri methi||1 teaspoon|
|Red chili powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Sendha namak||1/2 teaspoon or acc to taste|
- Boil and peel potatoes and break with hand into irregular big pieces.
- Puree tomatoes, chop ginger and green chili.
- Heat oil in a pan. I prefer to use mustard oil; you can use any vegetable oil or ghee.
- Add cumin seeds. As soon as these start spluttering, add ginger and chili. Sauté for a minute.
- Add tomato puree and well beaten curd and saute the masala till it starts leaving oil.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, kasuri methi, sendha salt and give it a stir.
- Add potaoes and 1 cup of water. Let it simmer for 5-10 minutes. You can adjust the thickness of gravy according to your choice. Add more water if you like thin gravy. To make thick gravy, crush few pieces of potatoes with the ladle.
- Serve hot with rajgira puri, kuttu ki puri, sama rice or singhare ki puri etc.