My last recipes to this week’s soya series is again a curry i.e. Soya Do Pyaza. The name of the dish itself explains that this is an onion based dish. Do pyaza means double the quantity of onion. Here onion is used in two ways- finely chopped that becomes a part of the gravy and provide it flavor when cooked along with tomatoes and quartered that are lightly sauteed with capsicum and added afterwards to give a crunch to the curry. Not only onion, but soya used is also of two types – Soya granules and soya chunks. Since soya itself is quite bland, so the curry is heavily spiced to make it such a delectable dish that even those who run away from soya would love to dunk into it. Paired with any Indian bread, it makes a delightful meal.
|Soya chunks||½ cup|
|Soya granule ||¼ cup|
|Onion||1, chopped finely|
|Tomato||2 large, pureed|
|Green chillies||2, chopped finely
|Ginger||1 inch, grated|
|Garlic paste ||½ teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||½ teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||½ teaspoon
|Chicken masala||2 teaspoons|
|Coriander powder||1 teaspoon|
|Red chilli powder||½ teaspoon
|Garam masala ||½ teaspoon|
|Kasuri methi ||1 teaspoon|
|Salt ||1 teaspoon|
|Malai ||2 tablespoons|
|Capsicum ||2, cut into cubes|
- Soak soya granules and soya chunk separately in hot water for about 10 minutes. Drain and squeeze them and keep aside.
- Finely chop one onion and quarter the other two onions. Separate the layers of onions. Cut capsicum into cubes.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil and shallow fry onion and capsicum. Transfer to s plate and keep aside.
- In the same pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil and add cumin seeds. As soon as the seeds start crackling, add chopped onion, grated ginger and garlic paste. Saute till raw smell disappears.
- Add tomato puree and green chillies. Cook till the masala leaves the oil.
- Add all the spices and saute for a minute.
- Add fresh cream/ malai and saute for another few minutes.
- To the masala, add ½ cup of water and soya granules and soya nuggets. When it starts boiling, reduce the flame and let it simmer on low flame for 7-8 minutes.
- Finally stir in sauteed onion and capsicum and let the curry cook for 1-2 minute.
- Soya do pyaza is ready. Serve hot with any Indian flatbread.